MoMmY nEeDsA mAi-tAi !!!

Live life to the fullest... Enjoy the love of your children... Love your spouse... Drink a mai-tai every now and then... Thats how things should be...





Thank God for Mama

Chaotic Mom is having a contest! She wants to know why we are thankful for our mothers, or those who are LIKE mothers to us. Or we can tell her why we are thankful TO BE mothers. Since I have 10 billion reasons to be thankful for my Grandma, who I call Mama, because she raised me, I dedicate this post to her. Unfortunately at this time, I have no pictures of her to add to this post, but, all you have to do is picture, in your head, love and graciousness; warmth and harmony, and there she is...


Lets start at the beginning. My Mama adopted my mom on the day she was born. My mother was very young when she had me. (barely 15) She was still in school, still living at home and being a child herself. I'm not saying that some young mothers dont do the best that they can, but my mom chose to leave the care of me to my Mama.
From the time I came home from the hospital, I slept in mama and papa's room. Mama rocked me, fed me, changed me and loved me unconditionally. You may be asking, what's so special about that? She and Papa were already raising six daughters of their own. Mama was 40 when I was born and should have had her own kids about raised and ready to be on their own. Not taking care of a newborn.
Years went by, my mother turned 19, got pregnant again and this time she got married. From the get go my stepfather hated me. I was four years old and I was in the way I guess. So back I went to Mama and Papa. When I was seven, my mom decided she wanted another go at being my mom. She had recently divorced and was dating another man. I went back to live with her. Not because I wanted to, but because Mama thought that maybe she would start acting like a mom. It didnt happen. This time it lasted until I was 9. I couldnt handle being with my mom. I wont go into all the things that I had to go through, but I will say it was the best decision I ever made to go back home to mama.
By this time, all my aunts had moved out on their own, so I was Mama and Papa's only kid. I was SPOILED! (Still am, but shhh!!) They loved me and took care of me and spoiled me, and in turn, I was a good kid, did my chores, got good grades... Then we moved to Georgia, in 1996. We rented a small house with a huge yard and a beautiful waterfall. We were the picture of happiness. Then the unimaginable struck. Mama was diagnosed with cervical cancer in early 1997. Thank God they caught it before it spread. They were able to take care of it with 30 radiation treatments and 2 radiation implants. She came through it wonderfully.
In October of 1998, my mom calls. She has decided that she cant handle my sister, can she come to georgia and live with us? So what does Mama and Papa do? Pack us up and go to Florida to bring back my sister. She was 12. What did Mama and Papa not know? She was pregnant. So now, it's me, Mama, Papa, and pregnant sister. Sister wants to quit school, but mama and papa wouldnt hear of it.
June 11, 1999. Sister gives birth to bouncing baby boy (Chad) and decides that she wants NO responsibility for THAT! So again, the raising of a newborn child is left to Mama. But Mama isnt 40 anymore. She was 58. I was raised. I was 18. I was still living at home, but I was fending for myself, I didnt have to depend on Mama for everything. But I had to help raise a baby, because I could see that Mama wasnt able to do everything like she used to. (Dont get me wrong, I loved helping raise Chad!) When Chad was 2, Mama and Papa officially adopted Chad. Sister asked them to.
Well, now Chad is 7. Sister is married and has 2 more children. Chad is a very happy, and very spoiled little boy. Mama is 65 and has just recovered from breast cancer. She was diagnosed last november (1 year ago). She went through chemotherapy, lost all her hair, and had a double mascectomy (sp?). She (again) has recovered beautifully and is very ready for the holiday season :) I know this might sound like a bunch of senseless rambling to some, but I'm not the best with words, and I just had to get out how special this woman is to me. She is my rock. My best friend.
This post is not even a tip of the iceberg compared to all the great things that she's done in her life. She has adopted 3 children (my mom, my aunt, and chad) and took sole custody of me. She invited a teenage boy into her home off the streets (referred to as Uncle Mikey), he is still part of the family today. I was 6 months old when he came to live with our family. Before she married my papa, she had been in an abusive marriage for 21 years, so she divorced and raised 4 daughters on her own for 4 years. When she married papa, he brought 2 more daughters for her to raise. She's been through cancer twice. And all I can say is ThankYou God for my Mama.


I love you Mama :)
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 11/16/2006 02:49:00 AM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

What a beautiful tribute and God bless both women!    



At 11/16/2006 02:03:00 PM, Blogger Kat said...

What a wonderful story! God bless her! We need more ladies like that in the world.We are a lucky girl!    



At 11/16/2006 04:30:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Your post gave me goosebumps. Your Grandma sounds like an angel!    



At 11/17/2006 02:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe everything you and your Mama & Papa have been through! Such devotion and sacrifice! Your Mama should be Woman of the Year!    



At 11/17/2006 05:36:00 PM, Blogger Sabapaks said...

Hello Samantha!

I thought I would drop by your blog and say hello. I don't really have a clue as to all of the different days that people are doing, but when I got to the post about your mom, I couldn't pass it up.

I want to thank you for posting such a wonderful tribute to you Mama and helping me to remember all the wonderful things my mom has done for me in my life.

I am sure that your Mama is very proud of you, and right along with you, I thank God for Mamas who are like that.

Thank you for sharing your Mama with us!

Jennifer aka Sabapaks    



At 11/20/2006 06:26:00 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

That is absolutely beautiful! What an amazing story and incredible journey you've been on. Thanks for sharing that with us.    



At 11/20/2006 12:34:00 PM, Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

I am totally in tears reading this post. I didn't have the most fun growing up, but can't even touch what you've been through. Your Mama must be a very amazing woman. You and Chad are blessed to have her for your family. I believe the "hard times" can really build strength of character in a person. I see that in you and your writing, very much so. I know in my heart of hearts you will go on to touch others in some way, with all that you've learned from your Mama. I believe you already have.    



At 11/20/2006 01:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing woman she is. Oh my gosh. Think of all the lives she's touched.

Beautiful story.

Kelly    



At 11/20/2006 03:08:00 PM, Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

I have laughed, and I sure have cried while reading through ALL of the Giving Thanks for Mother contest entries. And I've RE-READ them all since coming home, too.

I wish I could post ALL of them as winners, maybe send out some more books from my winnowed out collection. ;)

But I've FIANLLY published a winner and invite you to come on by and check out my post. I am working on a sidebar link to the winning post, but also a link to the contest post with ALL of the listed entries.    



At 12/01/2006 01:13:00 AM, Blogger Pamela said...

Amazing... simply amazing.

I feel so selfish and small.
Even though I can tell by reading about her that she would not want her goodness to make someone feel that way.    



At 12/03/2006 09:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a touching story about a beautiful woman! I don't know how I missed this story the first time around, but I'm so thankful that Local Girl submitted it for the Perfect Post award so I had a chance to read it.

What an absolutely selfless, wonderful woman she is.    



At 12/05/2006 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

That is a beautiful post, thank you so very much for sharing that. :O) I can see why Local Girl nominated you, congratulations on your perfect post!    



» Post a Comment