13 Odd Superstitions
1. The Scandinavian's believed that the number 13 was unlucky due to the mythological 12 demigods being joined by a 13th, an evil one, who brought misfortune upon humans.
2. Walking under a ladder - A leaning ladder forms a triangle with the wall and ground. Triangles represent the Holy Trinity, and violating the Trinity by breaking it (walking through it) would put you in league with the devil himself.
3. Black Cats - In ancient Egypt, the Goddess Bast was a black, female cat. Christians, wanting to rid society of all traces of other religions, convinced the ignorant that black cats were demons in disguise and should thus be destroyed. In the process, they also destroyed the kindly ladies who cared for the cats, believing them to be witches. Being demons, a black cat crossing your path would create a barrier of evil, cutting you off from God and blocking the entrance to heaven.
4. Bad Luck: Cutting your nails on a Friday
5. Bad Luck: Breaking a mirror
6. NEVER pick up a penny unless it's on heads! (courtesy Sam's Grandma)
7. Never set your purse on the floor because all the money will run out and you'll find yourself short.
8. Hold your breath while going past a cemetary.
9. People used to think (some still might) that if you stood on your head after sex you had a better chance of getting pregnant.
10. Hiccups are unlucky because when you have them you are believed to be owned by the devil.
11. If you see a shooting star it will bring you good luck.
12. Carrying a rabbit's foot in your pocket will bring good luck.
13. My Husbands family ALWAYS eats cabbage and black-eyed peas on New Years Day because they believe it brings good luck :)
I hope you all enjoyed this. I, for one, am a VERY superstitious person. I guess it stems from being raised by my grandma, because she believes in all of this. The funny thing is, she believes that instead of the number 13 being unlucky, that it brings her luck!